Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Mom goes on vacation

This year my in-laws celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. They had a nice ceremony and several friends and relatives gathered for the event. My wife's siblings urged her to fly to India for this event. Initially my wife was reluctant to go, citing concerns about how I would manage without her and how our younger one would handle the separation from Mom. However, with some coaxing from me and encouragement from the kids she went, by herself, for the first time since the kids were born!

As it turned out, the kids are handling this quite well. Our older one is quite independent anyway and the younger one saw this as an opportunity to prove to herself and others that she is a big girl now. Between school, homework, TV and friends, they kept themselves busy. They even helped me pack their lunches!

Then came the winter break when school is closed and kids are home. However, to my surprise, even then they seem to go about their routine as usual. With sleepovers, holiday movies, dinner at friends & family, they have been comfortably busy. They even help fold the laundry, vacuum the carpet and prepare dinner.

As it turns out, I seem to be the one that misses my wife the most. And it is not because of the burden of extra things I have to take care of in her absence. Sure, it is much easier when she's around and we share responsibilities. But I can handle the cooking, cleaning, paying bills, doing the laundry, etc. It sometimes means I don't get to go for my workout or watch my favorite TV show, but for a couple of weeks I can handle this.

What affects me more is the lack of her companionship. Her reassuring smile, her loving voice, her comforting hugs and the power of her sheer presence. But I know she deseves a break. A complete break with no responsibilities, nothing to worry about but herself. It also reminds me that true love is about thinking about the happiness of the person you love even if it makes things difficult for you. That, our kids seem to be better at than me. They get it from their Mom. I am the one who needs to grow up!

permalink

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home