Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Leisure

I first came across this poem when I was in school. At that time the poem did not resonate with me. As a child, I had plenty of time. The day seemed long and a year seemed even longer. As an adult now, with a family, work and other responsibilities, I often feel like I am a hamster on a wheel, running constantly and not getting anywhere. I can relate to the poem now and appreciate it. A poor life it is when you do not have the time to soak in the wonders around us and appreciate the little things in life.
LEISURE
What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep and cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

W. H. Davis

permalink

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home